So my husband, Tim and I have this thing that we do. And by "we," I mean "I."
Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning, Tim asks for scrambled eggs and my breakfast potatoes. Now, these are all depressing days for me: Monday is, well, Monday. Wednesday is the middle of the week, which is depressing in-and-of itself.
And Friday, well, all I can think about is, "One more day until I get to sleep." Plus I go to the gym at 5 a.m. on those mornings. At least Tuesdays are Taco Tuesdays and Thursdays have Grey's Anatomy.
A few mornings ago, Tim woke me up with his signature line: "Eggs and potatoes, cheeks?"
Cheeks is a new nickname we're trying out. It's still a toss-up. Anyway, he wants these eggs and potatoes, and I'm just not into it. It's the end of the month, I'm out of grocery money, and unbeknownst to him, I've been out of red potatoes for 9 days. So I go to the kitchen and think this up after throwing together the 5 things I had in my fridge.
"And it was good."
- 2 eggs
- 1 tortilla
- 2 slices provolone or American cheese
- 2 slices turkey, ham or favorite sandwich meat
- Salt, pepper
- Crack eggs and put yolk/whites in bowl. Add about 1/8 cup water and whisk.
- Pour eggs into small pan and turn heat on medium low. Let cook in that position without stirring. If the eggs start to get overcooked on the sides, turn the heat down, which will help the eggs cook more evenly.
- Using a spatula, lift cooked egg from the pan and place flat on an open tortilla.
- Top with slices of cheese, sandwich meat. Add salt and pepper.
- Fold tortilla in half and place back in pan. Turn heat on medium high.
- Let the tortilla cook for about 5 minutes before flipping. Tortilla should be golden brown.
- After cooking both sides, remove from heat and cut in half.
- Serve warm as a quick, easy breakfast!
Love and the-most-important-meal-of-the-day,
Visit me on allkindsofyumm.com